Welcome

What you read here are true, first-hand accounts of life inside an alternative religious group. What we went through may seem incredible to you. But keep in mind, we were normal, every-day people. Just like you. And we never thought it would happen to us, either.

5.25.2008

Ho'oponopono: The Best Way to Help

Many feelings come up when people read the stories on this site. Or on the news for that matter. It's only human to wonder what you can do to help. The most useful thing I've come across is something that I've started applying in my own life. It's based on a Hawaiian therapy for healing called Ho'oponopono. In the 80's, Morrnah Simeona "streamlined" Ho'oponopono from a therapy for healing interpersonal relationships, into something that an individual can practice for themselves. Her students (including Ramsay Taum, and Ihaleakala Hew Len, Ph.D) continue to teach and practice this version of Ho'oponopono. Hew Len's name may be familiar from Joe Vitale's book, Zero Limits. Hew Len asserts:
The healing process of Ho'oponopono is based on the principles of total responsibility, taking responsibility for everything that shows up in your life. He says if one takes complete responsibility for one's life, then everything one sees, hears, tastes, touches, or in any way experiences is one's responsibility -- because it is in one's life. Total Responsibility advocates that everything exists as a projection from inside the human being. The problem isn't with our external reality, it is with ourselves and to change our reality, we would have to change ourselves.
The simple truths are the strongest and there is much more to the practice than I can present in this post. However, the basis of Ho'oponopono is to accept responsibility for everything that has shown up in your consciousness. And anything that provokes feelings of anger, sadness, pity - or really, anything that sends you out of joy - is something that is crying out for your help. The good news is that offering that help is quite simple. Not easy perhaps. But simple.

In the moment you recognize that a person or situation in front of you may need healing - even if you are simply reading about it - address the Divinity within yourself and all around you in the following way (the words you use are not as important as your intention and feelings):
I am healed. All is healed. - Heal my limiting beliefs, both conscious and unconscious, which have helped to create this pain and disharmony. In finding healing within myself, I am releasing these negative and mistaken beliefs and programming so that myself and others in this shared reality may be transformed and healed. I offer love, joy and healing into this and every situation. In this too, I am healed. All is healed.

Thank You. - Thank you for my life. Thank you for this outer reflection of something within myself that cries out for healing. Thank you for shining a light on whatever I can surrender for healing - and, in so doing, create a more positive, joyful reality for myself and everyone. Thank you for allowing me the power to choose to experience love and gratitude. Thank you for the simplicity of Divine Healing - where healing is possible without knowing all of the details of what exactly needs to be healed or how it can happen. Thank you for the empowering knowledge that the healing power of Love knows no bounds. Thank You.

I Love You. - I am filled with love for you, for this life, for the Dinivinity of Creation and for Love itself. I allow Love to fill me and radiate from me, transmuting and transforming whatever allows its touch. If I have ever offered anything to this person or situation that was outside of Love, I take this moment to erase that offering and instead, offer Love in its place. I Love You.

I am healed. All is healed. Thank You. I Love You.
Something so simple and yet more profound help (I believe) than anything else you could offer.