Welcome

What you read here are true, first-hand accounts of life inside an alternative religious group. What we went through may seem incredible to you. But keep in mind, we were normal, every-day people. Just like you. And we never thought it would happen to us, either.

9.12.2007

Remembering the Aftermath of 9-11

Yesterday was the anniversary of the Attack of 9-11 and many people took a moment to reflect on the collapse of their world as they knew it. I remember being horrified, but for me it wasn't the collapse of my world and my sense of security... that came at a harmless-seeming dinner a few years later. But what I'm choosing to remember today is the aftermath of 9-11 in the Buddha Field.... it may be the only funny thing to come out of that terrible tragedy.

After 9-11, Angelo became scared of those numbers. I'm not really sure how you can be scared of a number, but I'm assured his fears went beyond thinking they were "unlucky." For instance, he would freak out if the clock said 9:11 -- so he had them tape pieces of paper over the final digit on all the clocks in the house so that it would never read 9-11. Sure, it meant you only knew the time within a 10 minute period... but so what? At least the number was covered -- so if you never SAW 9-11, then it never WAS 9-11. I can only imagine it's a similar reason to why people won't number the 13th floor of a building as the 13th floor. But that was always weird to me... I mean, whatever you CALL it, it's still the 13th floor, right? Evidently not. But still... time is a man-made concept... and an inconsistent one at that (while it's 9-11 here, it's 10-11 in NY and 7-11 in LA.) Do you get how funny this is?

Keep in mind that our "work" with Angelo consisted of facing our fears and dropping ideas that we had about things. Now, remember those clocks with the final digits covered.

Laughing yet? :D I am.

OK, that's all for now. I've got to go spread some garlic on the windows to keep out the vampires.